Definitions limit on label length in UTF-8

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Fri Sep 11 07:08:53 CEST 2009

John and I did in fact discuss this issue on Jan 2, 2008 on this
mailing list. Unfortunately, I did not pursue it after that, though I
did point out that the 63/255/UTF-8 restrictions are simply incorrect
in certain apps. (John claimed that the email context required such a
rule, but I did not bother to confirm that.)

Most HTML implementers would realize that the rule does not apply, and
would simply ignore it. The 63/255 restriction applies to DNS (i.e.
A-labels), not U-labels, and certainly not
IRIs/LEIRIs/HREFs/whatever-we-call-them-this-year.

Erik