Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Status Update: IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process Implementation

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Sep 10 17:31:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 07:25:25PM +0900, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> There is at least one big issue in there, namely the issue of limiting
> the length of labels by measuring their length in UTF-8. I very much
> hope this issue can be fixed asap.

I think I understand your objection, but I'm surprised that you think
it is totally new.  I just looked, and the same basic text is in the
-00 draft of definitions, which appeared in October of 2008.

What length restriction would you prefer instead?  I suspect the
reason for the restriction is that a "domain name label slot" in most
applications is 63 octets long.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.