[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Mon Oct 12 19:25:16 CEST 2009

I have no strong opinion on this matter, but …

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:33:20PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

> FWIW, I think ICANN knows far less about UIs and similar issues
> than the IETF and has a tendency to turn any project like this
> into a big deal.  By contrast, the IETF has created several
> registries that are managed more or less for the convenience of
> the broader community, without much (or any) normative effect
> other than public notice that someone is already using a
> particular identifier and promoting the exchange of information.

… just because one thinks the people who actually are chartered to
handle this sort of work are not good at it does not mean that the
IETF should take it on.  That is, if we think that the mapping in
question is of particular relevance to the root zone and the immediate
delegates, then the people who are officially charged with managing
that zone and delegation are the right people to maintain the mapping,
no matter what we might think about their procedures for doing so.
If, on the other hand, the mapping in question is relevant to the
global name space (as I currently think it is in this case), then it
is more likely to be an IETF task even if ICANN or someone else could
also do the job.  (Note I say "IETF" and not "WG here.)

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.