[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon Oct 12 16:22:22 CEST 2009

At 9:53 AM -0400 10/12/09, John C Klensin wrote:
>But decoupling it from the
>current Mapping document seems to be to appropriate, if only
>because of the expandability and open-endedness of the list of
>characters.

Sarmad's message did not seem to be a request to add all full stops to draft-ietf-idnabis-mappings, just U+06D4. (Sarmad, please correct me if I'm wrong.) The list that is given in the draft is clearly labelled as examples of full stops that a UI implementer might consider, not as the full list. The reason that the list exists at all is because of input from experts in a particular script; it seems reasonable to take input from experts on other scripts as well. If we get bombarded with experts from more than half a dozen languages before the end of IETF Last Call, I could see your view, but this is a single request from someone in a language community that has been part of the IDNAbis process for quite some time.

Before I consider adding U+06D4, I would want to hear from additional experts, but other than that, I see no danger in adding another character to an optional list in an optional document.