language question re: IDNs

Debbie Garside debbie at
Wed Oct 7 15:16:43 CEST 2009

It would seem that the term homoglyph also covers what we call problematic
combination characters; for example cl and rn look similar to d and m.
Consider and

A homograph is two or more words that visually appear the same but may have
different meanings or origins.  In this context the origin is the script.

Best regards


> -----Original Message-----
> From: idna-update-bounces at
> [mailto:idna-update-bounces at] On Behalf Of
> Michael Everson
> Sent: 07 October 2009 14:00
> To: IDNA update work
> Subject: Re: language question re: IDNs
> So a homoglyph is a letter that looks like another letter,
> but a homograph in this context is a spelling that looks like
> another spelling, on foot of homoglyphy.
> Michael Everson *
> _______________________________________________
> Idna-update mailing list
> Idna-update at

More information about the Idna-update mailing list