[Gen-art] LC review: draft-ietf-idnabis-bidi-06.txt

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Oct 6 15:24:55 CEST 2009

--On Tuesday, October 06, 2009 07:07 -0400 Vint Cerf
<vint at google.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> in that case, let's see whether we have consensus around
> simply explaining
> that not all CS are permitted by BiDi and that both tables and
> bidi rules are needed
> to implement IDNA2008 as intended.

To keep this in perspective, there are several other categories
in the lists in Bidi from which only a very small number of
characters are permitted by Tables.    In the case of CS, the
"small number" is zero but, unless the readers understand that
they need to go to Tables for specific permitted character
information, they might be equally confused.

So, IMO, the correct statement is something like "not all
characters from the listed categories are permitted by BiDi
and... as intended".    I don't think CS is special in that
regard.