secdir review of draft-ietf-idnabis-rationale-13.txt

Charlie Kaufman charliek at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 6 09:33:19 CEST 2009

My reading of the IDNA spec was that no query response would ever contain a U-label, and therefore saying that if the query response did contain a U-label then DNSSEC couldn't sign or verify it seems nonsensical. I believe that DNSSEC is more like part of DNS than up at the layer of IDNA; it can sign anything that DNS can return.

I believe the DNSSEC spec says that what is signed is the "wire form" of the name, which should be unambiguous unless different wire forms are used in different contexts in the DNS protocol. For DNS servers following IDNA, the wire form would always be an A-label or an LDH-label.

I could easily believe that there are problems when DNSSEC interacts with non-IDNA compliant names (either because the term "wire form" was ambiguous in some contexts or because the DNSSEC spec did not consistently use that terminology). But I haven't heard anyone claim that yet.

	--Charlie