AW: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 30 16:38:27 CET 2009

On 30 Nov 2009, at 15:18, Georg Ochsner wrote:

>> Im Auftrag von Michael Everson
>> Montag, 30. November 2009 12:26
>>
>> German grammar is one thing. The use of the character in personal
>> names is another.
>
> Absolutely! There are about 1,5 Mio. people living in Germany with
> sharp s
> in their surname (data from the German telephone book 2006
> extrapolated).
> Austria should be quite similar. Those people would be thankful for
> having
> sharp s enabled properly, I guess.

My question about weiß.de and WEIẞ.DE stands.

When people did things by hand, sure it was one thing to convert Weiß
to WEISS or WEISZ. But we now have a capital ẞ entering the world of
data (since Unicode 5.1) and I don't think it's unreasonable to think
that that Herr Weiß may actually think of WEIẞ.DE as equivalent to
his weiß.de.