Apostrophe (was Re: Names)

Shawn Steele (???) Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 23 18:53:17 CET 2009

> I can think of many cases where the apostrophe and other characters
> are part of domain names given back when looking up PTR records in
> DNS, the hostname gets added to a logfile (as a U-label) and then
> later parsed by a script.

Does this matter (much)?  Often non 0027 apostrophe's won't have special meaning anyway.  Even if they do have special meaning, escaping of many sequences is required for numerous scripting languages?

I mean that I could see the theoretical problem, eg: using Windows WideCharToMultiByte() with best fit mappings enabled, but that particular example is broken in lots of ways.  For example, I could also imagine internally escaping 0027 as U0027.  Then if I found a URL with "U0027" in it, I could end up doing something unexpected.

-Shawn