consensus Call: TATWEEL

Ebw ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Mar 22 17:43:14 CET 2009

OTHER. My concern is that we may be  "latinizing" Arabic (and Farsi
and ...), that is, imposing the linear constraint of current nav bars
(and command lines) on a script which is best written as a descending
(non-linear) and vertically as well as horizontally combining (or
interacting) characters.

I propose we ask modern (3rd gen) Arabic (and Farsi, etc) typographers
for guidance. I'm not certain the UTC motivation is sufficient, nor am
I certain the ASIWG, the process of which I find insufficiently
trasparent, and unacceptably vendor-specific, hasn't overlooked use in
their excessively narrow construction of text labels as "necessary
words" with the excessive constraints arise from the incorrect
statement of purpose.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone, painfully.