Names

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Fri Mar 20 13:54:13 CET 2009

On 19 mar 2009, at 21.31, Mark Davis wrote:

> There has been no uproar about
> the fact that IDNA2008 disables many, many names in English
> (especially
> Irish), French, Italian, and others. For example, all of the
> following are
> currently allowed in IDNA, but would be disallowed under IDNA2008.

FWIW, allowing anything that looks like (yes, I use that non-specific
phrase very intentional) a character that is dangerous in scripting is
and was when IDNA2003 was created a very very very bad idea. I do not
think many people see the difference between ’ and ', and allowing
such characters and %, !, $, * etc is something I would say is a bad
idea. Very bad idea. Not everyone can have "their name" as a domain
name. Because domain names are domain names, and not words and names.

That said, I see your point regarding already registered domain names.
Same thing for domain names that include arrows, snowman etc.

    Patrik