The Future of IDNA

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Mar 20 12:12:56 CET 2009

Erik,

Anyone is free to submit internet drafts. If you create one that
proposes changes to DNS functionality, however, I would ask that this
be a personal I-D and not an I-D that is considered part of the WG
product. At this late stage of work on IDNA2008, it does not strike me
as within the scope of this WG to explore DNS changes, especially if
they would affect servers. Keeping servers operating essentially as
DNS is currently defined is a key assumption behind all versions of
IDNA thus far. If you and others are interested in pursuing re-design
of DNS (and you will find many who would agree that such a redesign
could produce a significant improvement), I think it would best be
done on a distinct list of participants with an interest in that.

Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400
Reston, VA 20190