Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Mar 15 18:06:22 CET 2009

I made a couple of mistakes in that email, and it may have been
confusing, so let me try again.

If HTML implementations start performing multiple lookups, we will
probably start to see Web sites that take advantage of the new xn--
names, and they may not bother with any bundling, since the browser is
performing multiple lookups.

If HTML files containing the old IDNA2003 xn-- labels don't disappear
completely, the Web site operators may feel compelled to keep those
domain names, and if those old domain names don't disappear
completely, HTML implementers may feel compelled to continue the
multiple lookup, perhaps forever.

Is this too pessimistic? Or is this realistic, due to the nature of the Web?

Erik