Fixing display variations (was: AW: Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Mar 13 19:14:00 CET 2009

At 18:38 13/03/2009, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>  it also open a host of new issues about presentation issues that I
> don't think we're in a position to answer.

Andrew,
you cannot avoid the fact that multilingualization needs a
presentation layer the Internet technology presently has not. This is
why IDNA is not about multilingualization but about
internationalization. Internationalization is (I refer to what Mark
Davis said and did) to remove the barriers between English ASCII and
foreign scripts and languages though the internationalization of the
medium, the localization of the end, and the filteing of the
supported languages.

English ASCII internationalization can be taken in two different ways:
- either as a way to support languages until multilingualzation is available
- or as the English ASCII contribution of a true multlingualization
proposition.

So, please let get IDNA completed in terms of internationalization
requirements (by the ASCII English commuity having to relate with
other language communities). Then let see how we can accomodate it in
a multilingualization context. This is another charter, for another WG.

jfc