Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Mar 12 18:55:39 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:27:54AM -0700, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> I realize that John asked us all to focus on the drafts, but, frankly,
> I don't see much consensus on the mapping issue yet, so I still think
> it is better to explore all possibilities.

You seem to think that deploying a new RRTYPE with unusual additional
processing is a "possibility".  If the goal is deployment in a
reasonable time, it's not.  We can certainly get the RRTYPE, but
additional processing quirks make this all more complicated and quite
a bit more serious for a DNS server.  I think you should expect
universal deployment of DNSSEC _and_ IPv6 prior to this scheme being
widely-enough adopted to be really useful.  That's why John thinks
it's a distraction; I have to agree.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.