Eszett and IDNAv2 vs IDNA2008

Adam M. Costello idna-update.amc+0+ at nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord
Thu Mar 12 06:59:57 CET 2009

"Shawn Steele (???)" <Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:

> In my view the real problem comes when I don't know what the preferred
> display form is supposed to be.

You mean you have received a mapped label (either ACE or mapped &
normalized Unicode) and you want to display it.  Can you give example
scenarios?  How did you receive the label, why do you want to display
it, and why did the sender give you a mapped label instead of a more
display-friendly label?  I'm sure this happens, but I want to understand
how common or uncommon it will be.

The example I'm already familiar with is email applications displaying
headers, and the problem is being address by recent specs for UTF-8 mail
headers, which will (I think) enable the sender to leave the domain
names unmapped in the header, just as the user typed them.

Thanks,
AMC