draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Mar 10 08:38:44 CET 2009

On 10 mar 2009, at 01.12, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At 5:00 PM -0700 3/9/09, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>> Some may consider URLs irrelevant in this discussion, but if you have
>> an RTL TLD with a trailing digit followed by a path with a leading
>> digit, the TLD gets split up, with one piece on one side of the slash
>> and the other piece on the other side.
>>
>> http://HEBREW1/2 -->> http://1/2HEBREW
>>
>> (I don't know whether actual bidi users would find this
>> objectionable.)
>
> Two things here:
>
> - I was asking specifically about domain names, not IRIs. There are
> other things in IRIs that cause problems that are not related to
> this discussion.

If you look at domain names in isolation, you will of course not have
any problem as "there is nothing adjacent to the digit at the end",
but in a context you might have _ANY_ character after the digit (in
logical order). Now, go and find your favorite (I think) punctuation
character, place it in a right to left context, and you see the problem.

    Patrik