numeric (ascii) labels (was: Re: draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi)

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Tue Mar 10 04:20:33 CET 2009

I agree with Martin that because tmax is 26, the last character of a
Punycode string can only be a letter (a-zA-Z). See the top of page 28
in:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3492.txt

I also ran a bunch of Unicode strings through the converter, and the
last character was always a letter.

Erik

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at shinkuro.com> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I'd like again to suggest that we take further discussion of whether
> all-number TLDs are safe over to the dnsop mailing list, since that's
> the place one is most likely to find the IETF participants who really
> have to deal in their professional or technical lives with the
> assortment of specification, oral tradition, and good and bad
> implementations that actually makes up the functioning DNS. The
> present thread is to some degree the reason I asked for responses off-
> list.
>
> What is still needed, however, if anyone wants to provide it, is a
> pointer to the Fine Material showing that a Punycode-encoded label can
> or cannot end with a digit. I _think_ the answer is no, but I'd sure
> like a strong confirmation.
>
> Best regards,

> Andrew Sullivan
> ajs at shinkuro.com
>
> On 9-Mar-09, at 22:34, James Seng <james at seng.sg> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> There is no technical basis to prevent numeric labels at 2nd level or
>> 3rd level, and perhaps also debatable whether numeric labels is
>> allowed at 1st level (http://hello.123/), it would save a lot of
>> headache if we forbid all numeric labels at top-level, as a matter of
>> policy (not technical).
>>
>> however, i am interested to know if there is any good reason to use
>> digits in TLD, that might change my mind.
>>
>> -James Seng
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> wrote:
>>> Eric,
>>>
>>> On blackberry, so very briefly, DNS specs are not the sole guide to
>>> conventions. I think much pain would be avoided if we banned all
>>> numeric TLDs since this would assure no possible confusion of a
>>> host name and a IP address. Banning initial and trailing numerics
>>> might have bidi benefits but perhaps concerns there could be
>>> confined within the bidi rule set.

>>> numeric (or octal or hex) character values is safe as houses (if