Mapping and Variants

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Mar 9 03:52:47 CET 2009

At 11:29 09/03/09, John C Klensin wrote:

>--On Monday, March 09, 2009 10:27 +0900 Martin Duerst
><duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I didn't mean 'prohibit' as legislate, but as "the
>> registries should do it themselves in everybody's best
>> interest". Also, I didn't mean that e.g. having Cyrillic
>> labels and Arabic labels in the same zone would be bad, just
>> that having different scripts in the same label (in particular
>> for Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek) would be bad. Therefore, I'm
>> still waiting for John to confirm that his example has been
>> just theoretical, or to explain why not.
>
>The example, if I'm correctly identifying the one you are
>referring to, was not theoretical,

I mean the example where you said that we have to map Latin
lower case a and Greek lower case alpha to the same thing
because their two upper case versions look the same.

My point was that this is mainly theoretical, because mixing
scripts in general, and very much in this case, is a bad idea,
nonwithstanding examples where it actually might make some sense,
such as $B&L(Bvolt. Can you give an example that makes a bit more
sense than just "AA"?

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp