Mapping and Variants

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Mar 9 02:27:52 CET 2009

At 00:20 09/03/09, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 09:43:34PM +0900, Martin Duerst wrote:
>
>> I agree that prohibiting script mixing should be the default
>> for any registry, apart from a few exceptions such as Japanese.
>
>Define "registry".  Remember, it means "zone operator" and applies at
>_every level_ of the DNS.  I don't think it's legitimate to try to
>legislate the contents of zones this way, and I think it's way out of
>the bounds of the protocol.

Sorry, I didn't mean 'prohibit' as legislate, but as "the registries
should do it themselves in everybody's best interest". Also, I didn't
mean that e.g. having Cyrillic labels and Arabic labels in the same
zone would be bad, just that having different scripts in the same
label (in particular for Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek) would be bad.
Therefore, I'm still waiting for John to confirm that his example
has been just theoretical, or to explain why not.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp