draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sat Mar 7 16:36:57 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Martin Duerst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> At 20:02 09/03/07, Vint Cerf wrote:
>>I would have thought that any notion of all-digit labels would be
>>hazardous in the event they lead to confusion with dotted IP address
>>notations and would therefore be forbidden?
>
> Yes, but Andrew said that some people are trying to allow e.g. 666
> because that can't be confused with a dotted IP address (where 255
> is the highest possible number).

Some applications, including MSIE, treat numbers larger than 255 as an
IPv4 address (i.e. up to 32 bits), and they convert that number to the
dotted decimal for the HTTP Host: header. Octal (starting with 0) and
hex (starting with 0x) are also allowed. See:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xns/inet_addr.html

Erik