draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt and bidi

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Mar 7 13:50:24 CET 2009

At 20:39 09/03/07, Patrik F$BgM(Btstr$B‹N(B wrote:
>Is it not the case that the safe bet is to say that "every character
>in the TLD of a U-label must have codepoints that are alphabetic, have
>the same directionality, either Left_to_Right or Right_to_Left, and be
>valid according to IDNA". And then anything we add to that makes
>things more and more scary?

That's one way to provide a very high level view. But there is actually
a certain ammount of scariness already in the case of (letter only,
single direction) labels of both directions being used in one and the
same domain name. And then indeed things get more and more scary,
but there may be steps back to less scary stuff, and context is
also highly relevant.

I would personally be extremely okay with what you propose above
(letter only), but not everybody may have this opinion, so I wanted
to give a somewhat more detailled picture of the situation.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp