Mapping and Variants

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Mar 6 19:51:13 CET 2009

The basic concept documented in RFC 3402 DDDS algorithm.

   The "i" flag indicates that the ERE matching SHALL be performed in a
   case-insensitive fashion.  Furthermore, any backref replacements MAY
   be normalized to lower case when the "i" flag is given.  This flag
   has meaning only when both the Application and Database define a
   character set where case insensitivity is valid.

This is the case when the chosen "x.--" means an "i" flag. This is not
the case in the default "xn--" which is appropriate to support ASCII
English and its possible caracter variations (ex. people foreign
names, or foreign TM).

jfc