Another field in the DNS

Shawn Steele (???) Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 2 20:06:34 CET 2009

Erik suggested "another field in the DNS", and I have a similar (lack of) knowledge of exactly what is doable, but it seems like we need a "display name" for a resolved domain name.

It doesn't really matter whether it's the ZWJ or ZWNJ, the eszett or some other edge case, several of the mappings proposed lead to variations which may, or may not, be acceptable.  Simple ASCII-only domains that dropped diacritics may prefer to see those diacritics when displaying the name.  Even ASCII casing can have that problem.  AAA's links say www.AAA.com, however IE displays them as aaa.

So if IDN had rules where names mapped to a form that could be resolved, but rDNS records could return unmapped forms (so long as they mapped back to the normalized form), then some of these display type preferences would be fixed.

Might also encourage people to make their reverse-mapping match too :)

- Shawn