Potentially redundant context rules

Chris Wright chris at ausregistry.com.au
Wed Jul 29 14:15:50 CEST 2009

I agree that everything that has been said below is factually correct.

The context rules prohibit Arabic Indic Digits (which have BIDI property AN) from co-existing in a u-label with Extended Arabic Indic Digits (which have BIDI property EN)

BIDI says that ANY DIGITS with BIDI property AN cannot co-exist in a u-label with ANY DIGITS with BIDI property of EN, so the context rules are a redundant subset of the BIDI rules! (Which is why we are arguing for the BIDI rules to be the ones that stay)

I accept that the two rules are not strictly identical, however the argument that the context rules allow ASCII digits to co-exist with Arabic Indic Digits (AN) is irrelevant because as soon as the label contains Arabic Indic Digits it would be subject to the BIDI rules and thus the digit mixing in the label would not be allowed anyway.

Thanks
c.