Katakana Middle Dot again (Was: tables-06b.txt: A.5, A.6, A.9)

Wil Tan wil at cloudregistry.net
Sat Jul 25 10:30:24 CEST 2009

John,

I share your views that this character (and the other middle dot for
that matter) is similar enough to an important protocol character that
it warrants extra care. If we are to go down that road, I'd like to
see:

1. That the contextual rule be validated at lookup time as well. Since
it is easy and attractive (to phishers) to mint DNS labels at lower
level of the tree, not requiring the lookup check does nothing to
mitigate the concerns. This was also raised by Chris (and in a similar
vein, Shawn);

2. That at least one (Han|Hiragana|Katakana) character should come
before the katakana middle dot; and

3. That the label contains only (Han|Hiragana|Katakana|LDH) + middle dot.

However, it makes the rule considerably more complex and because of
this I was thinking more of leaving this to the application, which may
have more contextual information (such as user's locale, the TLD,
etc.) to take appropriate steps to protect the user.

=wil