editorial comment to 2009-07 idnabis draft

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Wed Jul 22 07:47:57 CEST 2009

On 18 jul 2009, at 11.27, Nicolas Krebs wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:36:37 -0400
>> From: John C Klensin <klensin at jck.com>
>> To: Nicolas Krebs <nicolas1.krebs3 at netcourrier.com>, idna-update at alvestrand.no
>> Subject: Re: editorial comment to 2009-07 idnabis draft
>
>> These suggestions increase work to stay synchronized with other
>> document
>
> Indeed. Without my suggestion,
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idnabis-tables-05#section-9.2
> would be updated from

I think those kind of references that are updated automatically are
dangerous as there are changes between the versions, and we editors
for example in this WG are working quite hard to try to sync as much
as possible between the versions of our respective documents. I did
not update the tables document during the spring, and that created
some problems BUT, on the other hand, version 5 of tables did NOT
reference version 9 of the definitions document. It referenced version
5.

My point is that it is not always good to automatically rev the
versions in the references to the I-Ds.

    Patrik