U+303B VERTICAL IDEOGRAPHIC ITERATION MARK

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Sat Jul 18 00:45:03 CEST 2009

> On 16 jul 2009, at 01.20, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
>
> > So just fix the exception list to take care of U+303B.
>
> So from the list Will presented:
>
> > I think the following should be DISALLOWED:
> >
> > U+3031: Lm: VERTICAL KANA REPEAT MARK
> > U+3032: Lm: VERTICAL KANA REPEAT WITH VOICED SOUND MARK
> > U+3033: Lm: VERTICAL KANA REPEAT MARK UPPER HALF
> > U+3034: Lm: VERTICAL KANA REPEAT WITH VOICED SOUND MARK UPPER HALF
> > U+3035: Lm: VERTICAL KANA REPEAT MARK LOWER HALF
> > U+303B: Lm: VERTICAL IDEOGRAPHIC ITERATION MARK
>
> ...you say that 303B should be added, and not the others?

No, what I was saying was that all 6 should be treated
the same in the spec.

Then for all 6 (as Martin agreed), the best and most defensible choice is
DISALLOWED. I could live with all 6 being PVALID (which
wouldn't be too terribly harmful, and which wouldn't require
doing anything at all in the exceptions list for them).
The worst choice is CONTEXTO, because that just complicates
the spec unnecessarily trying to define context rules for
characters nobody could reasonably want to use in IDNs anyway.

--Ken