Contextual rule for MODIFIER LETTER PRIME?

Chris Wright chris at ausregistry.com.au
Fri Jul 17 02:46:35 CEST 2009

John,

I have to ask, why would anyone actually do this? No-one would ever be able type the name, unless we made a mapping rule that maps apostrophe to <U+02B9> which I doubt would ever happen. The only way this name could reasonably be used is if it was sent in emails, or in hyperlinks on websites. So I guess then the next argument would be phishing? Someone wants to pretend they are oreilly.tld by pushing out hyperlinks with o'reilly.tld (where ' is <U+02B9>). I don't see this as any different to what can happen today, I can pretend I am bobscars.com by pushing out hyperlinks like bobs-cars.com or bobcars.com or even bobscar.com. As a registry operator we already deal with these problems, and have established technical and administrative policies for preventing the registration of, and dealing with the ones that get through.

Finally, why would a registry ever allow this name to be registered? In your specific example the <U+02B9> is being mixed with ASCII characters, and I would find it hard to believe a registry would define a 'language' that included that set of code points, more likely it would be defined in a language set such as Greek. Even then the registry would have to come up with sensible, basically what I would call 'context' or policy rules for where this code point could be used.

As for lower levels of the DNS hierarchy where it is unlikely any rules that we come up with are enforced, your example can already happen now with the drafts as is, because given that the current context rule for the MODIFIER LETTER PRIME is not applied at lookup, and assuming lower levels will not apply registration only rules, and let's face it they never will, we will be lucky if they even know they exist, the name will be created in a lower level zone file, and nothing will stop it from being looked up. Thus we are no worse off, also phishing becomes less of a problem down at this level, as the registrant is only hurting themselves (i.e. it is one administrative domain, so they are only stealing traffic/pretending to be, themselves).

I hope I have explained myself clearly

Chris