Are we getting anywhere? ;-)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 13 20:06:45 CEST 2009

Martin replied:

> I think one of the original motivations for not doing mapping was to be
> able to adjust to different local needs. As an example, it might be
> helpful if Turkish software used the Turkish rules for lowercasing, not
> the general ones.

I do not think it is helpful at all to allow Turkish lowercasing rules.  I agree that it is (very) unfortunate, however if a Turkish user emails a link to a US user, or a US user emails a link to a Turkish user, that link MUST end up going to the same server.  Once could argue that they should email U-Labels, but I believe we recognize that isn't practical in practice.

I realize this point is difficult, but the browser vendors have been fairly consistent in the need for this rule, and it would be nice if we could finally agree upon it :)

> Also, changing UI to Lookup might miss the point that it's desirable to
> have hrefs and friends premapped. That doesn't mean that mapping should
> not be done on Lookup, so maybe we have to say "UI and Lookup".

That seems fine.  I would like it to be desirable to have href & "friends" premapped, but I'm not sure that can reasonably be a SHOULD.  (Sure, it SHOULD, but SHOULD says that there has to be a good reason not to.  I'm not sure that an end user on a blog entering the link to a friend's page, ignorant of the details of the standard, is a "good reason".)

- Shawn