AW: Eszett

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Jul 12 15:21:58 CEST 2009

John C Klensin wrote:
> --On Sunday, July 12, 2009 08:33 -0400 Eric Brunner-Williams
> <ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net> wrote:
>

>> John C Klensin wrote:
>>

>>> ... we
>>> would ban "w" in favor of "uu" or "vv", might ban "u" in favor
>>> of "v" ...
>>>
>> Clearly the correct form is a "u" positioned above, and
>> joining, an "o", the Wabenaki solution to the problem
>> presented by 16th century French lacking the requisite
>> character. If you'll all turn your Unicode hymn books to
>> U+0222 and U+0223 ...
>>

> Of course, in their Unicode font rendering, someone would
> probably complain that both characters were confusable with the
> digit "8", but...

In fact, the digit "8" was used in some Abenaki orthography, along with
the "o" "u" vertical ligature, during the hayday of manual typewritters.

Back in the '03 work I discussed the Abenaki equivalence class of {8,
w,  ou, and U+0222, U+0223}, in the context of local scope for zone file
equivalence classes.

> There are moments (but only extremely brief moments) when I
> think that maybe we should have taken RFC 5242 more seriously :-(

It will never displace avian carrier. However, funny smiley face _off_,
when I recommended to the then-chair of the IRTF circa 2002 (or earlier)
that task E in rfc2130 be undertaken, the response I got was "no".

Eric