AW: Eszett

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Jul 12 14:10:40 CEST 2009

--On Sunday, July 12, 2009 09:44 +0200 Georg Ochsner
<g.ochsner at revolistic.com> wrote:

> And let me add a personal impression. Some of the people
> arguing against the ß, seem to do this mainly, because ß is
> or used to be a ligature, why they see it as an impure letter.
> This kind of "typesetting ideological" arguments should not
> count for a standard that focuses on the modern use of
> language.

Note also that, if that argument were applied consistently, we
would ban "w" in favor of "uu" or "vv", might ban "u" in favor
of "v" and "j" in favor of "i", and so on (probably including
requiring Han characters to be written as a series of combining
radicals).  To state Georg's comment differently, what needs to
count --to the extent possible-- is usage of scripts in the
languages in which they are used, not theoretical or historical
arguments about character derivations.