Stop me if I've misunderstood...

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 10 19:02:06 CEST 2009

> > Hmm ;-)  Let's see "microsoft.com", Microsoft.com, MICROSOFT.COM, MicroSoft.Com,
> > MiCrOsOfT.CoM, I'm not gonna list 512 variations of "Microsoft" that don't compare equal

> I am afraid this is an American Engineer idyosincrasy. The remark only
> makes sense in a cultural/technical environment of which the
> orthotyprography does not make any semantic difference between upper
> and lower cases. Up to now users believed that this bugged conception
> was an Internet feature and the whole thing survived.

Hmm.  That's odd, I find tons of French (France) content online (newspapers, etc.) that are more than happy to use ALL CAPS to make their point.

Pretty much everyone on this list seriously considering IDNAbis is ignoring your suggestions as they realize they are linguistically impossible in a globally diverse world where speakers of different languages change locales (there are numerous French speakers in the US, even in my hall.)  Your system would take them (or me) to unexpected places.  Even then it wouldn't work because "Joe's Plumbing" will only work for one Joe, so you've spent a ton of effort trying to solve an edge case where duplicates are forbidden when the much more common cases aren't addressed.

I will try very hard not to reply on this subject again.

-Shawn