Stop me if I've misunderstood...

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Jul 10 00:44:34 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 03:26:43PM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 5:27 PM -0400 7/9/09, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >I'm not sure I agree with the above characterization.  In DNS, case
> >differences are preserved but not significant for matching.
>
> So, take it to an example where not all characters are ASCII:
> Éxample.com and éxample.com seems like a good example.

Well, that case also seems to me to be something the zone operator
might do reasonably.  There's no risk of the "xample" part being
changed, so there are just two variants to register -- not such a big
deal.

But note that this gets us into the other sticky issue: what about
accent-free versions of "the same name" (in this case,
"example.com").   Should that also be bundled together.

I think the right answer to that question is, "It depends, and zone
operators need to come up with policies around this."  But not
everyone is, plainly, happy with that answer.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.