mappings-01

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sun Jul 5 22:31:31 CEST 2009

Hmm....

I have argued for a "careful" use of mappings.

I am of the definite view that IF mapping is used, THEN it is good if
it is done in a consistent way (so that applications do not "invent"
mappings).

That said, I think I also have said in some discussions that IETF have
not standardized on keyboard layout, speech to text mappings, input
mechanisms etc, and that ONE view might be that a mapping as close to
the application I argue for can be viewed as an extended input
mechanism (like spelling correction). Some browsers already today add
".COM" if one enter something in a browser without any periods...is
that part of "mapping"?

Mumble...this *is* complicated.

And, all of that said, I think the text that we have sort of converged
on in this discussion is pretty good.

    Patrik