mappings-01

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Sun Jul 5 16:48:18 CEST 2009

At 9:38 AM -0400 7/5/09, Vint Cerf wrote:
>john,
>
>The mappings document outlines what I think is part of a spectrum of
>mappings/modifications of user input that may eventually find its way
>into a DNS lookup action. Technically, one could refer in the lookup
>section of protocol the phrase "implementors MAY apply mappings-01
>prior to lookup." it seems to me this is permissive without being
>dispositive. I agree that definitions could reference the document
>as being a part of the series dealing with lookup pre-processing.
>
>Paul, Peter,
>
>would such a reference do damage to your effort to treat the
>matter with delicacy?

Speaking for myself, I don't think it is strong enough. As Pete and I showed in the current draft, on can use stronger suggestions without incorrectly using 2119 language.

Proposed text:

Every IDNA2008 implementer needs to consider what type of mapping, if any, should be included in their IDNA2008 application based on all the environments in which their application will be used. More discussion of those considerations, including suggestions for mapping that might be appropriate in many environments, are given in [ref-to-mapping].