IDNs in the root

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sat Jan 24 10:50:22 CET 2009

Paul Hoffman skrev:
> At 5:37 AM +0100 1/23/09, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>
>> Paul Hoffman skrev:

>>> Serious question: why is this at all relevant? Is there any IDNs that are meant to be entered in the root that will have a different encoding under IDNA2003 than under IDNA2008 or contain characters that make them unrenderable in IDNA2003?
>>>

>> There are many strings for which registration could be requested under
>> IDNA2003 that cannot be registered under IDNA2008 (the symbols being the
>> most prominent example). ICANN is aghast at the idea of having to allow
>> something to be registered in the root and then having to take it out
>> when the rules change.
>>

> ICANN does not *have* to allow anything to be registered, and therefore should not be aghast. It sounds like ICANN is getting some bad advice on registration practices in the root.

You haven't been around ICANN much .... lucky you....

if ICANN sets up a ruleset, and people follow that ruleset, and ICANN
then says "oh, we don't like your registration, we'll disallow it
anyway", ICANN's looking at the wrong end of a lawsuit.

Being aghast at that prospect is a perfectly reasonable reaction.

             Harald