IDNs in the root

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Jan 23 18:25:30 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:13:17AM -0800, Tina Dam wrote:

> I agree that the mapping-discussion is a problem. However, this
> topic has now been discussed for years and a decision need to be
> made.

I'm sorry, but that is dangerous nonsense.  What you are arguing is
that we don't know how to solve this problem, so we should just
release the protocol with a possibly dangerous segment in it on the
Internet, and hope it's all ok.  That's a false dichotomy.  I
appreciate that there are non-technical pressures to get something
out.  But they're just one variable in a complicated trade-off.  I
have a hard time believing that consideration trumps everything else.

Frankly, I think we'd be better to do _nothing_ than not come up with
something serious around the local mappings.  What I'd prefer to see,
however, are some tighter rules about what may be allowed there.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.