Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Fri Feb 27 22:03:42 CET 2009

Logically speaking, there is no difference between a UTF-8 model and a
Punycode model. Both can be thought of as transfer-encodings of Unicode.
Punycode is arcane, but it is simply and fully a lossless encoding of
Unicode.

The problems we are dealing with are not because of that, but because of the
fact that we are mapping and restricting on the client side. That is, the
encoding is orthogonal to the mapping/restricting. If we had UTF-8 in URLs
we would be faced with the same issue: how do we we map/restrict labels, and
where is it done. For example, the Greeks really want *more* mapping than is
done by IDNA2003, not less.

The one difference, which is orthogonal to the encoding issue, is that the
core DNS server-side lookup could require mapping/restricting, instead of
burdening the clients and/or registries with it. But the mapping/restricting
issues don't magically disappear... And it is unclear that every DNS server
should be required to implement all of the mapping/restricting rules. And we
still wouldn't want that to differ by language (for reasons outlined
earlier).

Don't get me wrong; it would be great to have UTF-8 in the DNS at some
point. It would make a number of things easier. But it would have no affect
on the issues that are causing so many disagreements (and/or
head-scratching).

Mark