Additonal prefixes (was: Re: Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ))

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Feb 27 14:45:01 CET 2009

At 05:33 27/02/2009, John C Klensin wrote:
>I am not sure I would agree that we care about typographic
>formats.  We had better not care about them because Unicode
>quite explicitly does not support typographic format differences
>except via additional (and unspecified) metadata.

This is precisely the problem we face, because quite explictely
Unicode does not support what we want. This is precisely why we have
to transmit the necessary metadata in the most compact way (i.e. a
format the registrant may select, to be supported by its own algorithm).
However, this has nothing to do with IDNA2008 whose charter does not
include format support, even if prefix variations may be accepted as
not a prefix change.

jfc