Not changing the prefix

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Feb 26 22:09:11 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:56:30AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At what point does this WG consider changing the prefix?

Since I think I was one of the guilty parties uttering "prefix"
earlier in this thread (even though I said explicitly then that I
don't think we should re-open it), I plainly have penance, Lenten or
otherwise, to do now.  I apologise for having mentioned yhe prefix
issue.

In any case, I think the answer to Paul's question above is "never".
The WG's charter explicitly says that if we decide we need to change
the prefix, we stop work and try to recharter.  We accepted in the
charter that we might have not-backward-compatible changes without
changing the prefix.  Despite my attempts to insist we look very hard
and long at those backward incompatibilities, I don't think we have
yet reached the point where we "stop work and recommend that a new
charter be generated."

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com