Changing the values of domain names and the need for mapping

Kane, Pat pkane at verisign.com
Thu Feb 26 20:29:21 CET 2009

All,

As a followup to the post from last week there are currently no registrations contained within the com/net registration base that contain the Eszett or the Final Sigma.  Good news.  Name/string prep implemented correctly and no defects introduced.

However, I may have answered the wrong question.  While we can be certain that there will be no authoritative name space collisions between existing registrations and new registrations that may appropriately contain code points 00DF and 03C2, there were anecdotal reports from registrars where registrants intended to register those code points as part of domain labels within com and net.  These registrant stories ranged from at best surprise and in some cases very angry phone calls Customer Service staff.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Patrick S. Kane
Vice President