Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

Vaggelis Segredakis segred at ics.forth.gr
Thu Feb 26 12:17:02 CET 2009

Dear Vint and all,

Thank you for your replies on the issues I brought. My intention was to
highlight that there are only certain things a registry can do with the
bundling of domain names and they are not many. The issues that exist are
more complicated than one can think, even for European languages.

We, along with other interested parties are going to present this WG with a
unified position on how we would like the final sigma issue to be handled
fairly soon. We do not wish to extend this discussion to mapping accents
although if this discussion turns to x.-- as proposed this will be an agenda
item as well. We fully understand that a mapping creates a loss of
information.

If you all really do not wish for x.-- solutions to appear there is one more
issue this WG has to recommend for. The use of DNAME, if it was working as
expected, would be a solution for the mapping of domain names. This is not
happening because DNAME was not supposed to be working for bundling.

Today the need of bundling is obvious. DNS should be equipped with a real
tool for this, a xNAME entry that would fully equalize two domain names and
their associated tree.

I know it is not for this WG to decide on that, I am hoping though that you
have the ability to push to this direction. IDNs are not easily deployed if
they do not offer a good end-user experience. Without good solutions
proposed and implemented the use of IDNs will remain a poor experience, full
of IF-THEN....

Vaggelis