Not Folding Case (was: Re: Eszett ( was AW: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

LB lbleriot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:36:09 CET 2009

Wonderful!
not only we do not know our language! But Google, Microsoft and
Unicode who deform it permanently. They know it better than us . Not
only do I understand we are stupid, but the French language is a
canard.

We were very polite, in face of expert scientists who wade past nine
years, and especially show that they do not even read an email. JFC
has explained that the use is 50/50, that accented capital letters are
not on the AZERTY keyboard. But perhaps instead of "her says" it would
be more efficient to read what the grammarian, printers, etc.  say and
the French people want.

I do not expect that these learned experts internatinalisation are
level with their colleagues from the ISO and can read the Wikipedia
page on the subject. But I have confidence in their tool (Google
Translation) I will quote the duck, pardon the comment, the French
Academy.

"Accentuation Caps"

One can only deplore the use of accents on capital letters is
floating. Seen in the manuscripts certain tendency to the omission of
accents. In typography, sometimes, some remove all the accents on the
capitals under the guise of modernism, in fact to reduce the cost of
composition.

It should however be noted that French, the emphasis has full value
spelling. Its absence is slowing down the reading, is hesitating on
pronunciation, and can even be misleading. The same goes for the
cedilla and diaeresis.

Care is therefore in good typography, to make systematic use of
accented capitals, including the preposition TO, as do of course all
the dictionaries, starting with the Dictionnaire de l'Académie
française, or grammar, as the proper use of strike but also the
Imprimerie Nationale, the Bibliothèque de la Pléiade, etc.. As for the
manuscripts, typescripts, it is clear that their authors, for the sake
of clarity and correction would have an incentive to also follow this
rule"

--
LB