Bundling vs Mapping

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Tue Feb 24 23:18:10 CET 2009

Because of the mapping required in IDNA2003, it is possible to use href="
http://Bücher.de <http://b%c3%bccher.de/>", as well as
"HTTP://BÜCHER.DE<http://b%c3%9ccher.de/>",
or "HTTP://BU¨CHER.DE <http://bu%cc%88%cc%88cher.de/>" (where the ¨
represents a U+0308 <http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/character.jsp?a=0308> (
̈ ) COMBINING DIAERESIS), or many other variations.

According to IDNA2008, uppercase Unicode is simply illegal. href="
http://Bücher.de <http://b%c3%bccher.de/>" would simply fail. So bundling of
case variants is not necessary. However, many of us are quite concerned
about the interoperability and security problems that will ensue. See the
draft mapping being worked on by the Unicode consortium, so as to preserve
interoperability as much as possible: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr46/

Mark