Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Feb 24 02:52:55 CET 2009

At 07:19 09/02/24, John C Klensin wrote:

>--On Monday, February 23, 2009 11:49 -0800 Paul Hoffman
><phoffman at imc.org> wrote:
>
>> I certainly don't. But I'm not sure that your explanation is
>> relevant. Do any of the domains that you are aware of bundle
>> *after* a registrant has one name? That is, a registrant
>> registers one name, the transaction is finished, and five
>> years later the registry decides that the registered name is
>> now part of a bundle and therefore takes one of the above
>> actions.
>>
>> I am not aware of any such domains, but you might be.
>
>I can go back and check (and Cary or Tina may know offhand), but
>my recollection is that several registries that used variants
>(or other relationships between older and newly-permitted names)
>as part of IDN sunrise policies did just that.   Keep in mind
>that every registry whose core language is written in Latin
>script had to deal (or decide to not deal) with a similar
>problem when it introduced IDNs to expand the "Latin characters"
>beyond ASCII and various conventions for representing decorated
>characters in ASCII to permitting registrations that included
>the decorated characters.

Good point, but I think the case now is slightly different.
No Latin character with accents was usable in DNS before
IDNA2003. On the other hand, the sz and the final sigma are
currently usable, in every application that correctly
implements IDNA.

>And, per Cary's note, sunrise procedures are a plausible policy
>alternative to maintaining variants, as is simply blocking
>registration of the new/ conflicting string.  I prefer variant
>techniques to those alternatives for the same reasons Mark does,
>but our ability to force those techniques on registries is very
>limited -- about the best we can do is to explain the issues and
>hope that they do the right thing.

I agree that explaining things in the right way to go.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp