Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Mon Feb 23 23:48:44 CET 2009

On 23 feb 2009, at 23.19, John C Klensin wrote:

> I can go back and check (and Cary or Tina may know offhand), but
> my recollection is that several registries that used variants
> (or other relationships between older and newly-permitted names)
> as part of IDN sunrise policies did just that.   Keep in mind
> that every registry whose core language is written in Latin
> script had to deal (or decide to not deal) with a similar
> problem when it introduced IDNs to expand the "Latin characters"
> beyond ASCII and various conventions for representing decorated
> characters in ASCII to permitting registrations that included
> the decorated characters.

Sweden had a special rule for this during the sunrise of original
addition of IDN domain names. At that time, the only ones that could
register domain names in Sweden where the ones that had a name of a
person or organisation that had some connection to the registered
name. During the sunrise, the ones that had a translitterated domain
name (ö -> o for example) could get a domain name in the first round
of the sunrise.

So, this is not something new, that policy changes years after the
initial registration (in the case of .SE we had the first registered
domain name 1984 I think, and introduction of IDN 18 years later, in
2002).

    Patrik