Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Feb 23 20:30:49 CET 2009

--On Monday, February 23, 2009 13:06 +0100 Cary Karp
<ck at nic.museum> wrote:

>> That's of course possible. But that basically means asking to
>> pay again for something that the registrant thought they
>> already had as part of their registration.
>
> Who said anything about multiple billing?  And, yet again,
> what makes that a protocol-level concern?

Just to explain that a bit further, of the domains I'm aware of
that have implemented some sort of variant/ bundling strategy,
some reserve the extra names and charge full price if they are
registered (by the bundle owner), others reserve but charge a
reduced price because the names are not available to others,
others provision the extra names away for free because it isn't
the registrant's fault that variants are generated, still others
use variants and bundles only to block, and so on.    It is
probably the case that all of the possible options are already
deployed.

Given that, any specific recommendation we would make would
essentially require specifying a particular business practice.
I don't think we want to go there.  I hope others don't either.