Changing the values of domain names and the need for mapping

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Fri Feb 20 19:44:27 CET 2009

> My specific concern here is when it is forced on registries based on
> bits-on-the-wire changes that we are proposing. Changing Those Two
> Characters to be PVALID either forces a change in registry operations
> and registrant operations, or it causes unpredictable and unexpected
> results for users of IDNA2003.

The Esszett currently maps out of the IDN space, entirely, and there
are no domain names that include them. If the Esszett becomes
available for inclusion in domain names, any registry that opts to
support it will be in precisely the same situation as, for example,
the .SE registry was when it added support for the Swedish å ä ö. It
had previously required that these be remapped to undecorated
characters prior to registration, and needed to decide how to deal
with the holders of remapped names who would have preferred to
register the localized forms if that had previously been permitted.

/Cary