idna-mapping update

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Dec 26 00:55:42 CET 2009

My bandwidth is extremely limited until we get back to the states, so I will
be brief. Please forgive me if by being brief, I am also overly brusk.

   1. I have not been able to follow the 4 deviation character discussion,
   but it appears that there is agreement on some transition strategies that
   will work; a key approach appears to be to map on the client side if one is
   sure that the zone bundles, otherwise map.
   2. Given that, I'd anticipate that the UTC would modify TR46 to be (a)
   support of symbols for some transitional period, and (b) a standard mapping.
   The rest of my comments are on the mapping issue.
   3. One uniform mapping would be better than multiple, inconsistent
   mappings.
   4. While one could argue either way, the advantage of the TR46 mapping is
   that it preserves compatibility with IDNA2003.
   5. The current IDNA2008 mapping wouldn't maintain that compatibility,
   falls short in a number of cases for languages that don't have case/width
   issues, and has a number of formal problems.
   6. We have major vendors that intend to implement the TR46 mappings; I
   don't know of any that have signed up to implement the current idna2008
   spec.
   7. The supposed argument from "harm" is specious.
   8. First, there is a mixup below. If X is confusable with a PVALID Y, it
   is no problem to map X to Y; it would only be a (theoretical) problem if X
   were mapped to a PVALID Z.
   9. Vastly more importantly, the argument from "harm" is faith-based, not
   data-based. I don't have access here, but I previously posted notes on the
   relative frequencies of spoofing techniques. Form that data:
      1. Spoofing with confusable characters is FAR below spoofing with
      syntax (like http://safe-amazon.com) in frequency.
      2. There are essentially no letters that can be spoofed with the
      mapped characters that can't *also* be spoofed with other letters that
      are PVALID.
   10. In sum, allowing the additional mappings makes *no* significant
   difference in the ability to spoof.
   11. Best would be to incorporate the TR46 mappings into IDNA2008. Second
   best would be to reference them; third would be to remove the idna2008
   mappings document, and fourth would be to leave them as is, and just deal
   with the muddle that results.

Mark